Leader: Chief Deborah Smith
Brokenhead Ojibway Nation is an Anishinaabe First Nation located 64 kilometers northeast of Winnipeg. As of January 2018, the total registered population was 2,082 with 800 living on reserve. The main reserve of Brokenhead 4 is surrounded by the Rural Municipality of St. Clements and the Brokenhead River runs through the core area of the community. The community has year-round road access and a small lakeshore on Lake Winnipeg. The First Nation has three reserves: Birch Landing (272 ha), Na-Sha-Ke-Penais (3 ha) and the most populated site Brokenhead 4 (5412.8 ha).
Leader: Mayor Larry Johannson
The City of Selkirk was named in honour of Scotsman Thomas Douglas, the 5th Earl of Selkirk. It is 22 kilometers northeast of Winnipeg and is the gateway to the Interlake Region of Manitoba and the last stop before cottage country. According to the latest census its population has increased by 4.5% in the past five years to just over 10,000 residents. The land area is 24.87 square kilometers with a population density of 413.4 persons per square kilometer and it is situated along the Red River. The terrain is extremely flat with fields of wheat and canola surrounding the city. The mainstays of the local economy are tourism, a steel mill and a major psychiatric hospital. Selkirk offers the best features of a city with hometown character that makes this community a warm and welcoming place.
Leader: Mayor Brian Bowman
Winnipeg is the largest city and capital of the Province of Manitoba. It is located near the longitudinal center of North America and is also the place of the confluence of the Red and the Assiniboine Rivers. The city is named after nearby Lake Winnipeg, which name comes from the Western Cree words for muddy water. Its population is 705,244 residents as of the 2016 census and covers a land area of 464.08 square kilometers. Known as the “Gateway to the West” Winnipeg is a railway and transportation hub with a diversified economy. The multicultural city hosts numerous annual festivals including the Festival du Voyageur, Winnipeg Folk Festival, Winnipeg Jazz Festival, Winnipeg Fringe Festival and Folklorama.
Leader: Chief Norman Bone
Keeseekoowenin is an Ojibway First Nation located 80 kilometers northwest of Brandon, near the town of Elphinstone which takes its name from Chief Keeseekoowenin, who was chief at the time of its origin. The main reserve is surrounded by the RM of Yellowhead and lies in its northeast portion. As of January 2018, the total registered population was 1,287 with 490 living on reserve. The community has year-round road access and three reserves Bottle Lake 61B (40.5 ha), Clear Lake 61A (428.5 ha), Keeseekoowenin 61 (2121.8 ha).
Leader: Chief Dennis Meeches
The Long Plain First Nation is an Ojibway First Nation whose reserve is located in the Central Plains region of Manitoba, Canada. It is located to the southwest of Portage la Prairie along the Assiniboine River. It lies between the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie and the Rural Municipality of South Norfolk, and also borders another band’s Indian reserve, that of the Dakota Plains First Nation. According to the latest statistics available, the Long Plain population is 4099 individuals.
Leader: Chief Karen Batson
Covering an area of 8,111.7 hectares, the Pine Creek First Nation is located on the southwestern shore of the Lake Winnipeg and approximately 100 kilometers north of Dauphin. Majority of its 3,170 registered population are of Saulteaux descent. Pine Creek First Nation is the signatory to Treaty #4, also known as the “Qu’Appelle Treaty”. The treaty was constituted on September 14, 1874, comprising of 13 separate Saulteaux and Cree Nations, with additional Nations signing thereafter. There are presently 36 distinct Nations attributed to Treaty #4, covering most of Southern Saskatchewan and partial areas of southern Alberta and western Manitoba. Abundant resources of freshwater fish, waterfowl and wild game have been the primary means of subsistence for the people living in the area.
Leader: Reeve Dale Fossay
With a population of more than 3,000 people, the Rural Municipality of Cartier is located west of the RM of Headingley and has the beautiful Assiniboine River in its northern boundaries. Like many other rural municipalities in the region, the area is made up of flat croplands as the predominant landscape feature with small streams running through its boundaries. The administrative centre and major rural settlement in the area is the small town of Elie.
Leader: Mayor Shelley Hart
Like its counterpart to the west, East St. Paul was established in 1915 with the division of St. Paul into two rural municipalities. It encompasses 41 square kilometers and includes the communities of Birds Hill, North Hill, Glengarry, River East Estates, Whidbey Harbour, Pritchard Farm Estates and Silverfox Estate. The Red River Floodway diverts part of the Red River’s flow around the City of Winnipeg through East St. Paul and discharges it back into the Red River north of the dam in Lockport. East St. Paul contains greenhouses and numerous small farms, primarily of the market gardening variety, as well as natural forest, creek and pond areas and is home to roughly 9,400 residents. It is a distinctive rural community with urban advantages.
Leader: Mayor John Mauseth
The Rural Municipality of Headingley is located directly west of Winnipeg and is home to almost 3,500 people. Its population has experienced a slight increase over the past few years. Before it became an independent municipality in 1993, Headingley was part of the City of Winnipeg for almost twenty consecutive years. Headingley boasts big city amenities and services while providing the intimacy and slower pace of rural living. The Assiniboine River runs through it’s boundaries and in 1869 a ferry attached by ropes to each side of the river, became an important link, not only for Headingley, but also for people from southern Manitoba. It ran until it was replaced by a new wooden bridge in 1915. One of the recreational features of Headingley is the Grand Trunk Trail, an abandoned rail line that traverses the municipalities of both Headingley and Cartier from the Perimeter Highway to Beaudry Park. The trail covers an approximate distance of 10 km.
Leader: Reeve Brad Erb
The Rural Municipality of Macdonald is home to 7,162 residents and was named after Canada’s first Prime Minister Sir John Macdonald. It is situated to the southwest of Winnipeg covering approximately 1,106 square kilometers. The La Salle River, a tributary of the Red River, winds through the municipality and provides many picturesque river front properties and recreation opportunities throughout the municipality. Major communities in Macdonald include Oak Bluff, La Salle, Domain, Brunkild, Sanford, Starbuck and Osborne. Macdonald’s economy primarily focuses around agriculture, wood processing and building supply products.
Leader: Mayor Chris Ewen
The Rural Municipality of Ritchot is located 27 kilometers south of Winnipeg and extends across a total area of 333 square kilometers. The total population of the area is approximately 6,600 residents, a slight increase over the past five years. Although it lies in the proximity of the City of Winnipeg, it has continuously preserved its rural character by embracing a vibrant rural life. The major settlement in the municipality is St. Adolphe which is home to more than 1,300 people. The municipality owes much of its roots to the early French Canadian settlers and was officially incorporated in 1890. Approximately 40% of the municipality’s population speaks French. In recent years however, there has been a steady increase in the non-French speaking population. Similar to other rural areas in the province, the area has interesting natural assets such as the Red River which adds to its natural beauty.
Leader: Reeve J. Wesley Taplin
In 1880 the RM of Rockwood became a municipality and consists of Townships 13 to 17, Ranges 1 and 2, and the west-half of 3 East. It extends across a land area of 1,199.93 square kilometers. The independently governed towns of Stonewall and Teulon are both enclaved within Rockwood and its current population sits just shy of 8,000 residents. For many years in the past, one of the main industries of the Rural Municipality of Rockwood and the Town of Stonewall was the Stone Quarries and Rockwood still has several active quarry operations today.
Leader: Reeve Frances Smee
Situated to the northwest of Winnipeg the Rural Municipality of Rosser is made up of communities such as Rosser, Grosse Isle, Meadows, Marquette, Gordon and Lilyfield. The municipality does not have a particular central urban centre, thus making Rosser uniquely “a community of communities”. It is home to nearly 1,400 residents. Due to its unique location on the northern border of Winnipeg and along Perimeter Highway, Rosser is home to Centreport Canada and many trucking trailer services and terminals, as well as having a very strong agricultural presence.
Leader: Reeve Tiffany Fell
As the oldest and fastest growing rural municipality in the region, the Rural Municipality of Springfield includes a large area of land stretching from the industrial site on the eastern boundary of the City of Winnipeg through urban, rural residential, agricultural and natural landscapes to the Agassiz Provincial Forest on the municipality’s eastern boundary. The area is home to more than 15,000 people and its population is expected to grow to over 24,000 people by the year 2035. Its diverse rural landscape entails miles of snowmobile trails, horse trails, flat prairie farmlands, and the well-known Birds Hill Provincial Park. Due to this rich and diverse landscape, the area hosts year-round outdoor activities open to local residents and visitors. The major settlement in the municipality is Oakbank which serves as the administrative centre of the area.
Leader: Mayor Joy Sul
Stretching from the northern boundaries of the City of Winnipeg to the southwestern boundaries of Lake Winnipeg, the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews is home to approximately 11,000 people. Many of the residents live in the southern parts of the municipality in small communities such as Lockport, Petersfield, St. Andrews and Clandeboye and commute daily to the major neighbouring settlements of Selkirk and Winnipeg. The major administrative centre for the RM of St. Andrews is located in Clandeboye. Although the City of Selkirk, the town of Winnipeg Beach, and the Village of Dunnottar are all located within the boundaries of the rural municipality, they are all independently governed.
Leader: Mayor Debbie Fiebelkorn
The Rural Municipality of St. Clements stretches from the northeastern boundaries of the City of Winnipeg to the southeastern shores of Lake Winnipeg. The Red River runs parallel to the western boundaries of the area. The total population is roughly 11,000 people, which compared to its population in 2011 illustrates a slight increase. Unlike many areas in the region, the natural landscape of the municipality is not limited to one predominant feature. The area entails a diverse terrain ranging from rolling plains, rich forest, marshland and pristine beaches to ecological preserves and provincial parks. This pristine and diverse natural landscape provides a great opportunity for year-round relaxation and recreation.
Leader: Reeve Dwayne Clarke
The Rural Municipality of St. François Xavier is Manitoba’s second oldest settlement and home to 1,411 residents according to the latest census. It lies west-northwest of Winnipeg and stretches for about 40 km along the north bank of the Assiniboine River, which provides excellent opportunities for fishing, canoeing and boating. The rural economy in the RM of St. François Xavier is focused around agriculture, with farmers operating a variety of different grain, seed and livestock operations. The statue of the White Horse when entering the village along Highway 26 is steeped in local folklore, the prominent horse being a strong symbol of the rich cultural history of the municipality and the region locally known as White Horse Plain.
Leader: Mayor Justin Denis Bohemier
Stretching from the Red River Floodway in the west to the beginning of the Canadian Shield in the east, the Rural Municipality of Taché is home to approximately 11,500 rural citizens with various ethnic backgrounds. The municipality was formed by an Act of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba in May 1880 and was named after Archbishop Alexandre Antonin Taché in recognition of his work as a missionary and for helping settlers in this part of the province. Its population is expected to increase up to 18,584 by 2035 which is an indication of its steady growth rate. Taché is home to strong and close-knit communities with Lorette and Landmark as the main residential and commercial hubs of the municipality and Ste. Genevieve, Dufresne, Ross and Linden as other noteworthy communities. The natural amenities of the area are well-appreciated and the area has become a centre for various activities. Lorette, for instance, attracts many visitors to its annual winter curling bonspiel.
Leader: Mayor Cheryl Christian
The Rural Municipality of West St. Paul lies adjacent to the north side of Winnipeg, directly west of the Red River. It was formed in 1915 when the municipality of St. Paul was subdivided into West St. Paul and East St. Paul with the Red River as the dividing line. It contains the two communities of Middlechurch and Rivercrest. The population has had an 8.8% increase over the past five years and is currently home to about 5,400 residents. West St. Paul’s two-story municipal hall was built in 1917 and is considered a municipally designated historic landmark of Manitoba.
Leader: Chief Craig Alexander
With its total Anishinaabe descent population of 1,093 people on reserve, the Roseau River First Nation consists of three reserve areas (i.e., Roseau River No. 2, Roseau River No. 2A, Roseau River No. 2B) covering the total 25.7 square kilometers of land. These areas are separately situated in various distances south of Winnipeg. Roseau River Anishinaabe First Nation is a member of the Dakota Ojibway Tribal Council. The total number of registered population in the area is 2,314.
Leader: Chief Derrick Henderson
Sagkeeng is an Anicinabe First Nation situated 101 kilometers north of Winnipeg. As of January 2018, the total registered population was 7,925 with 3,543 living on reserve. The name “Sagkeeng” is an Anishinaabe word meaning “at the outlet” referring to its location at the mouth of the Winnipeg River. The community has year-round road access and 8,771.3 hectares of land. Sagkeeng is comprised of Anicinabe people who have resided at or near the Fort Alexander Indian Reserve #3 located along the Winnipeg River and Traverse Bay, since time immemorial. Sagkeeng holds its annual Treaty Days in the last week of July every year. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the events which includes a community parade, various children events, pow wow, fireworks and community events.
Leader: Chief Lance Roulette
The Sandy Bay Ojibway First Nation is situated on Reserve No. 5, a 16,456 acre site on the western shore of Lake Manitoba. It is 165 kilometers northwest of Winnipeg and 90 kilometers from Portage la Prairie. The reserve is accessible by all-weather roads via provincial highways #16 and #50 north from Portage la Prairie. Approximately three quarters of this land is committed to farming. Located in the lowlands with a gentle rise westward from Lake Manitoba, most of the shoreline along the lake consists of a fine sand beach bordered by Balsam Poplar and Trembling Aspen. A bog and marshland run alongside and into the lake. The total registered population of Sandy Bay First Nation as of July 2013 is 6,174.
Leader: Mayor Rick Gamble
The Village of Dunnottar is a relatively small, compact and homogeneous rural municipality which is located on the eastern shores of Lake Winnipeg, just south of Winnipeg Beach. It encompasses the towns of Ponemah, Whytewold, and Matlock. The population of the area has been less than a thousand people with a slight increase over the past few years. Due to the area’s beauty there are a lot of summer houses with the potential for conversion to year-round structures. Seasonal residents are mainly cottage owners from Selkirk and Winnipeg and most year-round residents are retirees.