If you are looking to use and further develop your communications and social media skills, the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER) has an opening for an energetic person with an inquisitive mind.
As a national, First Nation-directed environmental non-profit organization with charitable status, CIER’s mission is to work in partnership with Indigenous nations to support and build sustainable Indigenous communities and protect lands and waters. https://yourcier.org
CIER staff is diverse and its relationship-based work embodies reconciliation in action. CIER employees work in a virtual office and we offer flex work arrangements. Working mainly with the Communications Director, but also with the rest of the CIER team, you will help make a difference for Indigenous communities and the environment.
We are searching for a full-time, self-motivated communicator that is reliable, responsive, organized, adaptable and meets deadlines as required. Reporting to the Communications Director, you will gain an understanding of the needs of the organization and fulfill those needs through developing and executing strategic communications tactics.
As the Communications Associate, you will create and expand awareness of CIER through the development of regular social media posts, track and analyze analytics for social media and web traffic, create and distribute our quarterly newsletter, execute regular website content updates, perform website maintenance, and other duties as assigned.
- Manage all social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn) – including content creation and the development of an annual plan.
- Create and distribute the CIER newsletter (share success stories and project updates by staying aware of CIER projects and liaising with colleagues).
- Assist in the creation and editing of written, video, and photo content.
- Assist with the WordPress website maintenance and updates, including adding content to our resource library.
- Maintain a cohesive brand identity across all social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn) to ensure alignment with communications direction.
- Monitor social media channels for industry trends.
- Review analytics and create reports on key metrics (social and web).
- Develop and deliver CIER quarterly newsletters. Tasks include identifying and writing newsworthy stories, layout and distribution.
Qualifications / Skills
- Passion for problem-solving and understanding the benefit of a consistent brand
- Proficiency with social media platforms and social media management tools
- Proficiency with video and photo editing tools and digital media formats
- Ability to understand historical, current, and future trends in the digital content and social media space
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable time management skills with the ability to multitask and adapt to new deadlines
- Detail-oriented approach with ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Must be a self-starter who takes initiative and can work unsupervised
- A willingness to learn, research, and manage other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of Indigenous and/or environmental issues an asset
- Contribute positively to the implementation of CIER’s Vision and Mission
- Thrive in a collaborative team setting, maintain high productivity levels, and quality of work
Education and Experience Requirements
- Red River College Polytechnic Creative Arts graduate (or similar) with post-secondary education in communications, marketing or a related field
- Minimum of two years of communications experience, including social media marketing or content development
- Experience using communication software, including, but limited to Hootsuite, MailChimp, video editing software (like Canva), Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress and Zoom
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Word, Teams and SharePoint)
This is a full-time position with room for future growth for the right candidate. Salary commensurate with qualifications and is in the range of $50,000 –$55,000 annually. We have an excellent benefit package which includes a new Wellness package. Although preference will be given to Indigenous applicants (including First Nations, Métis and Inuit), all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. CIER operates as a virtual office, however we do gather in-person as a team throughout the year.
If this opportunity is of interest and you meet all of the above requirements, please submit your resumé and a cover letter stating salary expectations on or before November 4, 2022, to: