The Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER) supports Indigenous people and communities to be leaders of positive environmental change, using the best of Western and Indigenous knowledge to create a world that is in balance and supports the well-being of all living things. CIER’s team members are based in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Northwest Territories. CIER staff are diverse, and its relationship-based work embodies reconciliation in action. CIER’s work focuses on the many aspects of building sustainable communities and protecting lands and waters. As such, CIER is very interested in people with a background that reflects decolonization and community empowerment, and who are comfortable working with a team of people of diverse ethnicities, backgrounds, and experiences.
The successful candidate must be able to perform basic accounting tasks, manage accounts payable and receivable, account reconciliation, billing, and support project financial management. The Accounting Associate will provide the necessary support to enable the day-to-day bookkeeping and basic accounting requirements for full-cycle accounting. This position operates with limited supervision for routine work and is able to identify when direction is required and respond easily to new assignments.
This is a hybrid position located in Winnipeg. This position is an excellent fit for detail-oriented professionals who are capable of learning new skills quickly and working independently.
- Perform general accounting duties
- Review and process all financial transactions (invoices, bank deposits, timesheets, payroll, etc.) on a timely basis, ensuring accuracy, completeness and compliance with policies and procedures and regulatory requirements; follow up and resolve any issues, seeking direction where required
- Complete journal entries and post accounts payable and receivable to the accounting system (Microsoft Dynamics 365– Business Central)
- Perform all necessary account, bank and other reconciliations
- Maintain up-to-date financial records by gathering and filing accounting documents
- Communicate with staff as required to follow up on vendor inquiries
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Support the Manager, Finance & Administration with report consolidation and submission as required
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of regular financial reports as required
- Prepare all documents and forms related to regulatory requirements (i.e.: GST, PST, etc.) and ensure accurate as well as timely submission
- Provide backup to any other related duties when necessary
Skills and Qualifications
Persons of First Nations ancestry only may apply (s.16(1) CHRA).
- Minimum of two (2) years of office support and general full-cycle accounting experience
- 1 year of Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable (Preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of accounting, bookkeeping principles, and practices
- Must have a valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle
- Enrollment in a professional accounting program is an asset
- Superior typing, word processing, and spreadsheet skills
- Exceptional level of communication and customer service
- Experience working in a virtual office
- A distraction-free workspace appropriate for attending executive-level virtual meetings
- Access to a secure and reliable internet connection
- A laptop with fully functional Wi-Fi capability
If you are interested in this role, please submit a resume to [email protected].